Tailbone Pain or Sacral Pain During Pregnancy
September 26, 2011
Tailbone pain or sacral pain is not uncommon during pregnancy. Contrary to some beliefs, it can occur at any stage of pregnancy. It is generally the result of changing tensions in your pelvis and the relaxation of tendons.
Causes of Tailbone Pain or Sacral Pain During Pregnancy
- Implantation- can cause pain and cramping in the sacrum, tailbone, and lower back.
- Increased hormones- During pregnancy your body creates hormones which soften and loosen joints and tissues of the pelvis in order to get your body ready for the birth process. This relaxation of the joints can change the way your spine is being aligned and supported, resulting in pain in the sacrum and tailbone.
- Changes to Your Body Posture- Your body is changing every day. Your belly is growing and stretching and changing your center of gravity. This causes the muscles inside of you to readjust differently than normal. Your spine curves in order to compensate for the shift your abdomen causes. This can cause pressure and tension on your sacral spine and coccyx.
- Stress- Stress adds tension to the body and can contribute to pain. Often stress can cause clenching or tension in the gluteal muscles. Practice stress management.
- Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction- Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction is a condition of instability in the pelvic joints, specifically the pubic bone, which can be aggravated by relaxed ligaments during pregnancy
Treatment for Sacral and Tailbone Pain During Pregnancy
- Use ice or heat
- Take acetaminophen for pain
- See a chiropractor, massage therapist or acupuncturist
- When lying down use a pregnancy pillow.
- Have your partner help you with hands on techniques such as those in the Pregnancy Pain Relief Book.
- Herbal Medicine
- Take a warm bath
When You Should Call Your Doctor
- Your pain is very intense
- Your pain is getting increasingly worse or you have sudden stabbing pain
- You have rhythmic pain that feels like menstrual cramps.
Related ArticlesTailbone Pain or Sacral Pain During Pregnancy
Custom Search Tailbone pain or sacral pain is not uncommon during pregnancy. Contrary to some beliefs, it can occur at any stage of pregnancy. It is generally the result of changing tensions in your pelvis and the relaxation of tendons. Causes of Tailbone Pain or Sacral Pain During Pregnancy Implantation- can cause pain and cramping [...]